Bookish Treasures is currently closed for review requests and is not doing any new posts at this time.

Review of Breathe

8 Feb 2013
Breathe

Synopsis - from goodreads

In a world without air, what would you do to breathe?

In a barren land, a shimmering glass pod houses the survivors of the Switch, the period when oxygen levels plunged and the green world withered.

A state lottery meant a lucky few won safety, while the rest suffocated in the thin air. And now Alina, Quinn, and Bea—an unlikely trio, each with their own agendas, their own longings and fears—walk straight into the heart of danger. With two days of oxygen in their tanks, they leave the pod—and everything they know—behind. What will happen on the third day?

Set in a perilous, devastated world, Breathe is a novel of adventure, revolution, yearning, and of opening your eyes and rising to your greatest potential.

Review

I really enjoyed Breathe though I knew I probably would. You hand me a book with a controlling government, conspiracies and rebels and it is pretty much guaranteed that I will like it. Breathe is not the best dystopian I have read but it is still very good and worth reading.
The concept behind Breathe is amazing: a treeless world with no oxygen where all the survivors live in a pod controlled by the BREATHE corporation, deep dark secrets that the government is hiding, two divided social classes and “terrorists” who only wish to live free from the pod.
One of my favourite parts to Breathe was the romance. There is a love triangle BUT it is a two girl’s one boy love triangle which made it interesting and different. The romance isn’t an overwhelming aspect to this book; it is very sweet and just plays a small part in the storyline which I loved. The action, adventure and rebellion took centre stage in this book.
Breathe had some characters that are definitely going to become all-time favourites of mine. I loved all three of the main characters and I thought it was great that we got the story from all of their POV’s. Both Alina and Bea were such strong characters and they complemented each other well; the ruthless rebel who wants to live in a world with trees, and the incredibly intelligent, kind-hearted auxiliary. I liked Quinn too, out of all the characters he was the one who developed and grew the most.
After finishing reading Breathe I was left wanting more and I have one huge question that I really hope is answered in the next book. I am really looking forwards to reading more of the series. If you love dystopian novels you should definitely try reading this one; I think you will love it.

6 comments:

  1. Great review Laura! I love dystopian novels so I've had my eye on this for a while. The one-guy-two-girls love triangle does sound intriguing - not something I read a lot! I'll definitely be checking it out :)

    Have a great weekend!

    Sarah @ TotalTeenFiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definately is intriguing and quite unique, I can only think of one other book I have read that has a two girls one boy love triangle.

      Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  2. Yay! Glad you liked this one Laura! I really loved it as well! :D
    I wasn't too fond of Alina though! Or well, I couldn't really place her in my mind, but I LOVED Bea and Quinn. They were both such strong characters by the end.
    I'm so curious to read more too.

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Alina's character wasn't explored as much as it could have been. We mainly just saw her tough girl exterior and her real personality only started to shine through at the end. Hopefully we will see more depth to her in the next book.

      Delete
  3. Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

If you leave a comment I promise to cherish it forever :) I will also try to always reply.